20060321

Rantification

Rant rant rant.

Right now, I'm watching another system restore attemp to remedy the following crippling problems with Raijin.

1. Exceptionally long wait time between Windows loading and the login screen appearing.
2. The inability of Windows to read floppy disks in my drive.
3. The inability of Windows to realize that there are more kinds of CDs than just audio CDs.

Now that I've finally solved once and for all every hardware issue I was having, Windows has decided it is time to make up for all those years I missed out on the suckiness of 3.1, 95 and so on.

Let me also specify that Norton Antivirus is crap. Crapity crap. Crapity crapicity of craphood. I think it operates on the principle that if it uses up gobs of CPU time and claims it didn't find any viruses, people will think it does such a great job at auto-protecting the computer from them. I would do just as well using a method of defeating viruses pioneered by a friend of mine. Namely, let them all in and hope they cancel each other out.

If it wasn't for the fact that I managed to fix the CD-Rom problem last night, only to have it return this morning, I'd think there was something wrong with my drive. If it wasn't for the fact that the very floppy drive that "has no disk" in it was used to install my RAID drivers, I'd think that was screwy coincidentally at the same time. If it wasn't for the fact that my Windows installation was obviously ripping apart at the seams, I'd think it was a good OS.

Needless to say I'm glad that I've been backing up important files on my Mac. The latest version of my senior project lies housed safely in the bosom of an ancient iMac whose only failings have been in hardware, and only twice at that. The ease with which Macs rebound from disaster has amazed me. In comparison, the complete shenanigans I go through to simply diagnose my problems leave me in tears.

So now as system restore fails to correct any problems once again, I pray that my CD-ROM can function long enough to repair my installation. As it stands, nothing seems to be working and my system is royally screwed.

That's not to say I couldn't live without CD-Roms, floppies or stand to wait an extra minute for my system to start up. However, that's like saying one can still bicycle with only one wheel. THERE'S SOMETHING FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG AND ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD STILL TRY TO USE IT FOR ANY SERIOUS PURPOSE.

I have enough on my plate at the moment without having to deal with Windows going bonkers on me.

And there it goes again with the "lets take 2 minutes to get from loading Windows to the login screen" crap again. This is blargh and a half my friends. Blargh and a half.

I swear there's an undocumented feature in Windows, "Detects most busy time for user and screws up then."

No comments: