20050915

PBJless

Here in Japan, the classic Kevin staple of PBJs for lunch every day is simply too much work to accomplish. It's not that I can't get them, it's just that going to all the work of finding the necessary ingredients in a place where peanut butter is rarely used, jelly sparingly, and bread very little at all, is a little too much for my lazy butt. That and I don't know how to say, "I'm a lazy foreigner, can you tell me where X is?" yet.

However, I believe I've found viable substitutes to replace the PBJs and heaping bowls of Macaroni and Cheese I'm missing out on. Instead of PBJs, a nice plate of Curry Rice has been hitting the spot. In place of Macaroni, Ramen has been excellent. This isn't the pansy Ramen that my sister lived on through college. This is a huge heaping bowl of delicious broth, filled with noodles, veggies, meats and seasonings. It looks like a work of art, and tastes like one too.

My host mother (okaasan) is an excellent cook. My breakfasts and dinners are incredible meals. I eat everything I can, it's all so delicious. I need to start asking for names so that when I return to the states I can identify these dishes at exotic asian restaurants.

A brief list of foods I would never have touched before but now eat readily. Eggplant, peaches, pears, prunes, tomatoes (as a tomatoe, not a sauce), cabbage, and all sorts of japanese vegetables, miso soup, and more. I really need to start identifying these things I'm eating.

I hope your meals are as delicious as mine!

1 comment:

jocelyn said...

Hey bro, would you please please please learn how to cook some Japanese dishes so that we can try them? I could even get you ingredients at the Asian supermarket around here! Please please?