20060109

Electrowhatsit?

During Christmas, I had the pleasent opportunity to share my zany japanese DS games with my family. Specifically, my sister and brother-in-law in particular. The specificity of the specifically was showing them Electroplankton.

I thought that they would enjoy it, in fact I was 102.3% positive they would. However, I entirely failed to calculate they would be addicted to it. With frightening speed I found my siblings all flocking to me whenever they could to ask for permission to use it. It was surprising, incredible, and utterly enlightening as to how strong a grip Nintendo has the potential to display over the ever-elusive casual and non-gamers.

Now, I honestly don't think Electroplankton was perfect. It was self-evident to me that many people would fail to understand what the point was. Electroplankton has no specific goals, no carryover from session to session, and no score. The point was a three year old banging keys on a piano, or humming into a kazoo.

There were, unfortunately, a lot of reviews that missed all that. A lot of reviews knocked the game for not being a game, which it never was really. Others slammed it for not being a good music sequencing tool, which it never was meant to be either.

Like I said, the thing isn't a perfect work of art, but it is an incredible work of art. It's the ultimate in electronic key banging, kazoo humming, guitar plucking excelence, and it can only be compared to the simple, child-like creative exploits.

Thankfully, a few places recognized that much. Kudos to 1up.com.

No comments: